For Administrators only
Filtered variables can be used to restrict the data a user has access to by filtering for attributes like Region, Department, or Industry. Filtering for Region could be useful for preventing certain users from seeing confidential data that does not pertain to their job. Filtering for Department or Industry could be useful for hiding extraneous data that doesn't pertain a given team's activities.
Define a Filtered Variable
- Click Manage on the project toolbar.
The administration page opens.
- On the Data tab, click Variables.
The list of all project variables opens.
- Click Create Variable.
- Enter a name for the variable. Click Ok.
- For the variable type, click the Filtered Variable checkbox.
- Select the attribute you are interested in filtering.
Select the default attribute values that should be included or excluded from the calculation of a user's report values. If no default values are set, users can access data associated with any attribute value, including any new attribute values added later to the project.
The All or None selections for the attribute values apply to any new values for this attribute that are added to the project in the future.
(Optional) Customize the attribute values to be filtered for specific users. Under User-Specific Values, click the Choose link.
- To modify values that have already been defined, click the current filtered value next to a user's name.
- When done with configuring the variable, click Save Changes.
Incorporate a Filtered Variable
You can incorporate filtered variables into project reports using the following methods:
- Incorporating Filtered Variables at the Report Level
- Incorporating Filtered Variables at the Metric Level
Add a Variable Filter to a Dashboard
For more information, see Filter for Variables.