Sometimes, you need to upload a set of data to your GoodData project and analyze it on an ad hoc basis.
Using CSV Uploader, you can add data from a file without affecting the rest of the data in your project (production data). The data from the file is added as a separate dataset (non-production data) and does not affect the existing datasets. Once the data is added, you can immediately start analyzing it in Analytical Designer (see Create Insights) or in the (see Creating New Reports in the Report Editor).
You can add data from a CSV file or a plain text file. The file must meet the following requirements:
- Max. file size: 1 GB
Max. columns in a file: 250
- Max. characters per cell: 255
- At least one column that contains numbers (measurable data)
- The date in a supported format
CSV Uploader is immediately available for Direct customers.
If you are a Powered by GoodData customer and want to use CSV Uploader, contact the GoodData Support.
In some situations, you may need to view the data uploaded from the file together with your model data. In such a case, you can manually connect the data from the file with the project data and create an insight based on both. Some constraints apply to such insights. For more information, see Combine Data Uploaded from a File with Project Data.
Go to the Load page, and click Add Data.
Select the file that you want to upload, and click Load.
A data preview opens. At this point, the data is just read from the file and not yet uploaded to your project.
Depending on the size of the file, reading the data may take a few minutes. Do not navigate from the page, or do not refresh the page while the file is being read.
- Follow the instruction on the screen, verify the data, and fix any errors when prompted to do so.
- Click Done.
The data is uploaded to the project.
You are redirected back to the Load page where a dataset with the newly added data appears in your dataset list.
When data loading is complete, a notification is sent to your email address.
You can now start analyzing your data in either of the following tools:
- Analytical Designer (if you have it enabled), see Create Insights
If you get an update for the file with the data that you uploaded to the project, you can accordingly update the data in your project (see Update the Data Uploaded from a File).
When you don't need the data anymore, you can Delete Data Uploaded from a File). (see
Supported Date Formats
- Order of day, month, and year:
Both one-digit and two-digit formats are supported for a day and a month: 01.05.2014 and 1.5.2014 are interchangeable and will both work.
Both two-digit and four-digit formats are supported for a year: 01.05.14 and 01.05.2014 are interchangeable and will both work. If you use the two-digit format, review the format consideration in the If you use the two-digit year format section.
- The year between 1900 and 2050 inclusive
- Space ( )
- Dash (-)
- Slash (/)
- Dot (.)
- No separator, if the date is in the format of yymmdd or yyyymmdd
- No time stamp
If you use the two-digit year format
Consider the following:
- The values from 00 to 68 inclusive refer to the years from 2000 to 2068 correspondingly.
- The values from 69 to 99 inclusive refer to the years from 1969 to 1999 correspondingly.
Let's look at some specific cases:
- If you use the yy-mm-dd format, the date 66-12-12 will not be accepted: according to the rules, it refers to the year of 2066, and 2066 is outside of the allowed range (which is, between 1900 and 2050 inclusive).
- If you use the yymmdd format, the date 661212 will not be accepted as a date for the same reason as in the previous case. Instead, it will be treated as a measure.
The following date formats are supported and will work well:
- 18 05 2014
The following date formats are not supported and will not be accepted:
Also in this section:
- Update the Data Uploaded from a File
- Delete Data Uploaded from a File
- Combine Data Uploaded from a File with Project Data