This article describes how to create and use Analytical Designer insights to visualize your data.
- On the project toolbar, click Analyze to open Analytical Designer.
- Drag a measure (
By default, the insight displays the measures in a column chart and attributes in a table. See step 8 below for additional details. ) or an attribute ( ) from the list onto any drop zone to visualize it.
- Select options in the Measures settings:
- Show values in percents
- Generate a year over year comparisons
- (For measures only) Select which calculation to use to display the measure data
To add granularity to the displayed data, drag Date (
) or Attribute ( ) to the View by/Trend by section.If you add Date, you can display the data in various date dimensions (see Date Dimension in a Logical Data Model) and group them by day, week, month, quarter, or year.
All insights display date in the following format: MM/DD/YYYY.
To split the display into a stacked chart, drag an Attribute (
) to the Stack by/Segment by section.
To use Stack by (or Segment by for Line charts), the insight must have only one item in the Measures section.
Add filters to the insight.
You can drag and drop date and attributes to the top bar to filter the whole insight.
If you add a date filter also to the View by/Trend by section, you can change the date dimension only in View by/Trend by.
Add filters to individual measures and attributes.
You can filter each measure and attribute by up to 20 attributes, and 1 date filter. All filters are applied at the same time (the AND operator).
The resulting insight matches all the applied measure level filters - both measure AND attribute filters.
For information about date filter interactions, see Filtering measures by date.
To change the insight type, click the appropriate icon at the top.
You can display the insight as a table or different types of charts.
Different charts require different types of data. If you change the chart type, the insight may change the displayed data as well.
For example, you can set a Stack by for a column chart, but not for a pie chart.
For details about different types of insights, see Insight Types in Analytical Designer.
- Save the report.
- Use the Undo and Redo buttons in the top bar to browse through your edits.
- Click Open as report to open the insight in the Report Editor.
As you create insights, Analytical Designer offers you Recommended next steps.
The recommendations that appear when you add measures and attributes are based on actions GoodData users typically perform in similar analytical scenarios.
Filtering measures by date
This feature is available upon request. To enable it, contact the GoodData Customer Support.
If you want to compare one measure at different times, you can now use the Filter by date parameter in the measure settings.
For example, if you want to compare transaction amounts in the current and the previous years, add the same measure twice and select a different Filter by date for each instance.
To filter measures by date:
- Add a measure to the insight.
- In the measure section, click Filter by date.
- In the drop-down menu, select the date and dimension by which you want to filter the measure.
You can select the current and previous years, quarters, months, and weeks, or a date range.
The insight immediately displays the measure in the selected period.
- If you use the Filter by date, you cannot open the insight as a report. The Open as Report button is disabled.
Date filter interactions
In Analytical Designer, you can work with dates in three ways. You can:
- Set a date filter for individual measures (Filter by date)
- Set a date filter for the whole insight (in the top bar)
- Group data by date in the View by/Segment by section
All date filters include:
- The date itself, such as last month, 3 years ago, and date range.
- Date dimension, such as date created, date assigned, and date closed.
The measure date (Filter by date) has the highest priority and overrides the insight date.
The dimension setting is hierarchical with the following structure: Measure → Insight filter → View by/Segment by. For example, setting the date dimension in View by/Segment by overrides the dimension set in insight filter and for measures. Setting date dimension in insight filter overrides the dimension set for individual measures.
The GoodData portal automatically selects a recommended date dimension based on the previous usage of date filters in your project. You can change the dimension any time.
To edit a saved insight, click Open in the top bar of Analytical Designer and select the insight to edit.
To delete a saved insight, click the cross icon next to the insight name in the Open drop down.