Use Groups to Share Dashboards with Multiple Users
Use groups to manage access to dashboards from multiple users quickly and easily. Dashboards that are shared with a group are shared with all the members of that group.
For example, imagine you have a dashboard named First Quarter Sales that you want to share with everyone on the sales team. First, create a group named Sales Team and add everyone in sales to that group. You can then share that dashboard with your new Sales Team group the same way you share it with individual users, via Sharing & Permissions. If you later create a dashboard for Second Quarter Sales, you can share that dashboard with the Sales Team group with just a few clicks.
For information about sharing dashboards, see Manage Object Visibility - Hide and Share Objects.
User groups are not a security feature. Any user can access any dashboard via its link. Use Data Permissions for security purposes.
Here’s how groups work:
- Administrators can create and manage groups
- Editors and Admins can share a dashboard with groups via gear icon > Sharing & Permissions.
- A group exists only in a single workspace.
- You can add only users who are part of workspace to groups. You cannot add invited users who have been invited to a workspace.
- Technical users can also create and manage groups via the GoodData APIs. See API Reference.
You can also invite people to a workspace, view invited users, change a user’s role, and manage user status through the group management interface.
Create and Populate a User Group
- Navigate to Manage > Workspace & Users. Click Manage user groups to access the group management interface.
- Click Create group.
- Name your group then click Create.
- Click Start adding users to display all active users.
- Select the users to add.
- Click Change group, choose groups to add the users to, and click Apply. The users are added to a group and have access to all dashboards shared with that group.
Update User Group Membership
To update group membership, you first choose the users you want to update membership for, and then choose the groups that they should be members of.
Navigate to Manage > Workspace & Users > Manage user groups.
Choose the users you want to change membership for on the left pane:
- Select the user status that you want to see users for (Active or Deactivated).
- Select a group that the users are members of. You can also select All active users and Ungrouped users.
Users with the selected status and group are displayed.
Select the checkbox next to users whose group membership you want to change.
Click Change group, then select the groups the users should be members of.
Click Apply. The selected users are added to the selected groups.
Delete a Group
- Navigate to Manage > Workspace & Users > Manage user groups.
- Click the group that you want to delete.
- Click Delete group.